The main character of "Sex and the City," Carrie Bradshaw - a fictional icon of fashion, relationships, creativity, friendship and lifestyle, living a beautiful and fun life in Manhattan surrounded by a tight-knit friend group of badass women made up of Charlotte York, Miranda Hobbes, and Samantha Jones as well as multiple fabulous love interests (most memorably and permanently, Mr. Big) - is easily the target of many young women’s envy and admiration. This show is somewhat of a religious experience for young, single women with a love for style and fashion. "Sex and the City" aired for 94 total episodes from 1998 to 2004, and it is my favorite show of all-time.
What I think is truly special about this emblematic show is that I believe every young 20-something can find a piece of themselves in the characters or happenings of the show. Carrie has an addictive personality and is creative, daring, impulsive and dependable. Miranda doesn’t let anyone get in her way and is ambitious, logical, cynical and head-strong. Charlotte always stays true to herself and is positive, balanced, idealistic and organized. And finally, Samantha works hard and parties even harder and she is fiery, blunt, confident, self-sufficient and adventurous. If you’ve ever watched "Sex and the City," you know that each of these characters holds a special place in our hearts, and they give us so much inspiration and insight into our lives because they feel like some of our real-life friends. Therefore, I decided to put together a collection of the best quotes from the seasons to apply to our lives, for those days when we need a little extra ~fabulous~ words of wisdom.
1. "I’m looking for love. Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can’t-live-without-each-other love." - Carrie
2. “It’s important to remain a creature of misery.” - Charlotte
3. "The most exciting, challenging, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you, you love, well, that's just fabulous." - Carrie
4. “And by the way, never, never call me again. Have a nice day.” - Miranda
5. "Women come to New York for two Ls: labels and love." - Carrie
6. “Hello, my name is Fabulous.” - Samantha
7. “Charlotte, like every other normal woman in Manhattan, had a thing for shoes.” - Carrie
8. “I’m pretty and I’m smart. I’m a catch.” - Charlotte
9. “If I worried what every b*tch in New York was saying about me, I’d never leave the house.” – Samantha
10. "So what are we going to do? Sit around bars, sipping Cosmos and sleeping with strangers when we're 80?" - Carrie
11. "Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates, and guys are just people to have fun with." - Carrie
12. “Harry was bald and he talked with his mouth full. But I loved him.” - Charlotte
13. "Being single used to mean that nobody wanted you. Now it means you’re pretty sexy and you’re taking your time deciding how you want your life to be and who you want to spend it with." – Carrie
14. “I love you, but I love me more.” - Samantha
15. “I’ve spent $40,000 on shoes and I have no place to live?! I will literally be the old woman who lived in her shoes." – Carrie
16. "I want to enjoy my success, not apologize for it." – Miranda
17. "They say nothing lasts forever; dreams change, trends come and go, but friendships never go out of style." – Carrie
18. "He's just not that into you. So move on." – Miranda
19. “Listen to me! The right guy is an illusion. Start living your lives!” - Samantha
20. “His problem is he’s an asshole.” - Samantha
21. "Maybe some women aren’t meant to be tamed, maybe they need to run free until they find someone just as wild to run with.” - Carrie
We can all take a page from "Sex and the City's" book, and like Carrie Bradshaw, Charlotte York, Samantha Jones and Miranda Hobbes, we should ALL highly value friendships, self-love, originality, fun, hard work, self-expression, memories and happiness and live our best lives.